The Lake George Association’s education programs teach students and the public about the Lake George watershed, water quality, and ecology. Bring your students or family on field trips to the lake or let us come to your school with structured classroom lessons and activities that meet established science curriculums. Or take advantage of other lesson plans and resources available to you, including our annual Lake George Bookmark Design Contest.
The LGA’s field trips and outdoor education programs align with the New York State Core Curriculum and deliver an outdoor, hands-on learning experience for your students.
- Floating Classroom: Every year over 2,000 school children, residents, and visitors board the LGA’s Floating Classroom on Lake George for active learning about water quality and ecology. Plan your Floating Classroom field trip.
- Stream Monitoring: Travel to the Lake George Recreation Center to sample water for macroinvertebrates and learn about watersheds and why streams are so important to the health of Lake George. Offered together with or separately from the Floating Classroom field trip.
Lake George Association education staff have developed 13 different programs across grades K-12, all following the New York State Core Curriculum. Bringing the outdoors inside, these programs are designed to be taught in the classroom, allowing students to explore Lake George all year long. Many of these programs are also available to scout events, summer camps, after-school programs, or other groups interested in active learning activities related to Lake George.
All programs are designed to be about an hour in length and can be conducted with a maximum of 30 students. Programs are adaptable for different classroom settings or lengths of time. All supplies and equipment needed will be brought for each program. Programs can be delivered as stand-alone programs or as pre- or post- activities for a Floating Classroom field trip:
- Kindergarten Through 4th-Grade Programs
- 5th- Through 8th-Grade Programs
- 9th- Through 12th-Grade Programs
- Lake George Bookmark Contest
Have a topic that you are teaching that you would like us to create a program for or have a group or event that would be interesting in learning more about Lake George? Contact us and let us know! We can create and conduct activities and programs for any of your water related topics.