Marine engines – especially older engines – are known to produce more emissions than automobiles. Following these simple steps will help you reduce boat emissions, providing a cleaner boating environment and a cleaner Lake George.
- Use the gas to oil ratio recommended by the engine manufacturer. Too much oil can foul spark plugs and too little can lead to increased engine wear or even failure.
- Use premium two-cycle engine oil. Premium oils improve engine performance and reduce pollution because they burn cleaner, contain more detergents, and prevent formation of carbon deposits.
- Use gasoline with the octane level recommended by the engine manufacturer.
- Keep the engine well tuned: no leaking seals, gaskets, or hoses.
- When it is time to buy a new engine, select a fuel efficient, low emission model.
- Install a fuel/air separator along your vent line. These devices allow air, but not fuel, to escape through a vent opening.